Monday, August 27, 2012

What's for Dinner??

I trust everyone had a very good weekend!  The weather here was absolutely beautiful and just a hint of Fall in the air.  So refreshing from the heat and humidity from the last several months.  Unfortunately, the humidity and the heat are back for the end of the week.

This is the beginning of an exciting week in our house as the hubby has his first college game of the season in Tennessee on Thursday night (he is a college/high school football official), a high school game on Friday night and our Clemson Tigers play Auburn this week for their first game.....GO TIGERS!!!  This means I only have to cook, at the most, 3 times.

My family generally eats out on the weekends (whenever there is someone home besides me) and then I cook during the week.  We did, however, grill some hamburgers last night that were so good......just good hamburger meat mixed with some Hidden Valley Ranch dressing.   So good!   This morning, I was trying to get myself out of bed and was thinking about what to fix for dinner tonight.  I decided to use the slow cooker because I wanted something really, really easy.  Also, we haven't had any pork lately so pork chops was the meat of choice.  This is the easiest recipe and so good.  Here are the ingredients for our dinner tonight:
Only the chops, soup, onion, and dressing go into the crock pot

.....and the pot to cook them in.....


I mixed my soups and ranch dressing together with about a cup of water and poured that into the bottom of the slow cooker, added some chopped onions on top of that:

gotta love the Clemson glass in the background


and then layer the chops on top of the onions....that's it!  How easy is that!!  I put this on about noon and will let it cook on high for the remainder of the afternoon.  It really is very good.  The asparagus will be roasted with some cheese on top and we may have some creamed potatoes as well.  An easy, easy dinner for a Monday night.

My husband has a bit of a sweet tooth and likes to have something sweet for after dinner.  My mother-in-law gave us some peaches over the weekend so I thought about a very easy cobbler.  Here are the ingredients:
Imagine there is an 8 oz. block of cream cheese here as well!

As luck would have it, I thought I had 8 oz. of cream cheese in the fridge but can't seem to find it....so I guess I will be making a trip to the grocery store!  Here is the recipe for the cobbler:

Combine the Yellow cake mix, 1/3 cup butter and 1 egg and mix well.  Take half of this mixture and press into a baking pan (I use a glass Pyrex dish).  Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Meanwhile, slice peaches into small pieces.  Mix your softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp. vanilla together until smooth.  

Spread your peaches over the crust when it comes out of the oven, pour the cream cheese mixture over your peaches, then sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top.  Bake for an additional 30 minutes and then cool for 30 minutes.  

We serve ours with ice cream but you can certainly use a whipped topping of your choice or simply eat it on its own.  A perfect ending to a great meal!  Enjoy!!

Now....what about Tuesday night....hmmmm.....







No comments:

Post a Comment